I am a rule follower. Always have been, always will be. And when life gets busy, I really like having a few rules to live by. It keeps me from having to think too much, or have internal debates about right and wrong. Here are a few of my favorite go-to organizing rules to live by. Learn it. Know it. Live it.
- Buy quality over quantity. There really can be too much of a not-so-good thing.
- If it makes you feel sad, guilty or angry, do not hold on to it! This applies to objects, tasks and people.
- Make your bed. Yep, that’s right, I sound like your mom. But just do it.
- Give it a home. If it doesn’t have a home, it will always be out of place.
- When in doubt, just say “no.” Trust me, it will save you a whole lotta headaches.
- If it has been broken for over a year and you don’t know how to fix it, get rid of it.
- If it will take 5 minutes or less, just do it now. I mean it, get up right now and do it.
- Finish the job. Leaving things only 80% done offers very little satisfaction. I’m talking to you, Mr. “But it’s a soaker.”
- You always have more time at night than you have in the morning. Always.
- If you love it and want to keep it, then honor it. The attic is not a place of honor. Same for the moldy basement. Use it or lose it.
Happy fall, y’all!